Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: women visiting graves  (Read 16345 times) Average Rating: 4
mazhar rehmani
Jo Bhi Chaho Wo Milega Ek Ishi Tatbir Se, Shart Ye Hai Ishq Karle Pahle Apne Pir Se.
Global Moderator
Legendary Member

« on: December 25, 2009, 09:00:26 AM »

asalam alaikum

Can you tell me if women are allowed to visit graves of their loved ones with or without male family members ?

Answer By Maulana Waseem Ashrafi :

Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim.

Wa'laykum-as-Salaam, wa Rahmatullahi wa Brakaatuhu.

The question is a very good question, probably a contraversial question when first read by the majority of people, tending to give a straight forward yes, or no answer.
However, this can only come to light when we study what the Book of Allah the Almighty states, and what the Hadith-ash-Sharif states, in the beautiful words of our Master, the Noble Messenger (peace be upon Him).

The purpose of visiting a grave is so that we remember what we shall have to encounter in the grave, and beyond the grave. In the Mishkat Sharif, where Hadrat 'A'isha Siddiqa (may Allah be pleased with her), asks the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon Him), what shall I say when I go to the visitation of the graves, and the Messenger (peace be upon Him) replies to her, clearly indicates that a woman has been given permission to visit the grave, and that which has been stated that Allah's curse is on those women who visit the graves has been, abrogated by this Hadith. It is worth noting that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon Him) did not prohibit Hadrat 'A'isha Siddiqa (may Allah be pleased with her) from going to the visitation of the graves, but instead taught her what to do, and what to pray. Some people have said that those women who go on visitation who cry and scream, and make themselves an obstruction for other visitors should be stopped, and only those specific (khas) women who know the rules relating to visitation should go.
In another Hadith of the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon Him) which is narrated by Buraydah (may Allah be pleased with him) who said that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon Him) said:
'nahayta kum 'an ziyaratil quburi fa zuruha'
'I prohibited you from visiting the graves, now visit them'
means that in the beginning of Islam, when there was so much evil happening, and the only good was being established by the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon Him), and His few followers, so there was the fear that people who were new to Islam, may indulge themselves into the habit of worshipping graves after so many years of having the habit of worshipping idols. When Islam became fully established, and confirmed (rasikh), then that prohibition became abrogated (mansukh). A classical example of this is when alcohol became prohibited (haram), so was the use of all those bowls or cups which the alcohol was once served in, so that the people didnt look at such objects and revert back to drinking once again, similarly, when the people were inhabited from being free of drink, then the use of such bowls and objects was again abrogated (mansukh).
The above Hadith, or part of Hadith, makes the act of visiting the graves commendable (mustahab). The truth is that in this order (hukm), women are also included, that they have also been given the permission of visiting the graves. But now in this day visiting of the graves could be classified as:
a) Visiting the Noble Grave of the Noble Messenger (peace be upon Him)
b) Visiting the graves of the pious predecessors
c) Visiting the graves of family (i.e. mother/father)
d) Common visits to the graveyard.
Out of all four, emphasis must be placed upon the visiting the Shrine of our Noble Messenger (peace be upon Him), which is the centre of the acceptance of all invocation and supplication, where everyone is treated equally by mercy, and where the endless mercies are searched for by 70,000 angels during the day and 70,000 angels during eve, and only once in their lifetime. Even then, there is the permission just as Hadrat A'isha Siddiqa (may Allah be pleased with her) had when the Grave of the Noble Messenger was placed in the room where she lived. This is why it was said:
'man zara qabri wajabat lahu shafa'ati'
'who ever visited my grave, my intercession is made necessary for him'
which applies both to male and female, as it is our belief that Hadrat A'isha Siddiqa (may Allah be pleased with Her) is one of the most deserving of this. However, the woman should not go to a place where there are only men paying visitation, or at a time when men are present, or without a mahram, or if she does not know how to perform visitation, or what to pray or recite during visitation. If she comes across a place during a journey where there is no one, then she may pay visitation, just as Hadrat 'A'isha (may Allah be pleased with her paid visitation of Hadrat 'Abd-ar-Rahman, during one of her journeys.
It must be remembered, that the word 'zuru' is an outright order, therefore it is permissable (ja'iz), for Muslims to travel for visitation. When it is permissable to attend at the doctors, hospitals and clinics for physical treatments, then why would it not be permissable to travel to graves of the pious predecessors for the spiritual treatment?
If one encounters the wrongful acts of shirk, and bid'ah by other persons during visitations, then he/she must not give up their own act of visitation, but try to prevent such acts from happening, as 'zuru' is again an absolute (mutlaq) command (amr), just see, did the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon Him) did not give up going to the ka'bah before migration (hijrah), although kept therin were the idols of the odol worshippers? Rather when he got the chance he drove them out, and cleared it of all false dieties, darknesses and evils.
In summary, it is o.k. for women to visit the Grave of Our Noble Messenger (peace be upon Him), as nowadays they do have sufficient provision for women. They may go to the grave of there close ones to convey the reward when no men are present, and if on there travels they come across a grave of a well known saint or pious personality, then they may also stop, and pay visitation, provided there is a mahram present with them.

and Allah is the knower of the All.

Kindly Also refer the below related topics ( Also see such Related topic in from the below links ) :-

The Holy Prophet (Salallaho Alaihi Wasallam) is Alive
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=436.0

Are Awliyas Benefiting the Ummaah today ? Will Awliyas benefit in Akhirah ?

http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=4311.msg10840#msg10840

Proof of Visiting Graves and Shrines of Ambia (Alaihimus Salam) and Aulia ALLAH
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=182.0

Kissing of Mazars ( Qabr-e-Mubaraks of Awliyas –Saudi Arabian Islamic Scholar )
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=1270.0

Question: Can we kiss the Mazaar (graves)?
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=2424.0

Raising Hands for Duas near Mazar Shareefs & Graves is the sunnah
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=3895.0

women visiting graves
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=3378.0

Placing of Ghilafs on the Mazar-e-Shareefs of Awliya Allah Rizwan allahi thaalah
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=1318.0

The practice of Khattam & Essale Sawab
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=189.0

How did Wahabis destroy tombs of ahle bait & sahaba
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=4318.0

Can we ask for help other then ALLAH?(part 1)
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=831.0

Can we ask for help other then ALLAH? (part 2)
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=832.0

Seeking assistance from other than Allah subhan wa ta'ala
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=1141.0

To Call Auliyah ALLAH for help or To Ask help from Awliya Allah
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=198.msg247#msg247

Shirk and the veneration of Graves
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=3698.0

How Auliya-Allah help from Grave ?
http://kgn786.com/forum/index.php?topic=720.0

Auliya Naksh Kudrat Pe Lakho Salam, Panjatan Ki Sayadat Pe lakho Salam,
Fazl-e-Rehman Se Azmat Nabi Ki jo Sikhi, Is Mujadid Ki Jidad Pe Lakho Salam,
Qadri,Naqshbandi Wa Chishti Gulon Ki, Karam Pash Nighat Pe Lakho Salam,
Jise Bibi Zohra Banaye Hai Beta, Fazl-e-Rehman Ki Nisbat Pe Lakho salam.
[/b]
plz visit : http://hazratfazlerehman.com
Aulia-e-hind.com
« on: December 25, 2009, 09:00:26 AM »

Fiza
Gem Of Forum
Board Member

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 08:57:33 AM »

As-Salaam-Alaikum.

This is the exact same question I had asked my uncle when my mum passed away and he replied no women are not allowed to go to the grave at all (finished no more knowledge then what was told) so I decided to browse through the net and ordered Al Bukhari hadith from the net after reading volumes 10-11 I came to a conclusion that women are allowed as per Rasulullah sallallahu 'alaihi wasallam. Therefore when my mums 40days were in process I went up to my uncle showed him the verse in the hadith and he looked at me like he was going to kill me but I guess I was spared but it was nice proving him wrong but the better part was I learned something new all by myself without elders getting involved. My uncle learned something new as well and he went to the mufti and asked the same question as I had asked him and mufti told him the same answer as I advised my uncle.

Feaman Allah

This world is a passing dream which the sleeper is convinced is real, until unexpectedly the dawn of death frees him from this fantasy.”

Hasbi Allahu wa ne'mal wakil,Wa`alamu anna feekum Rasul Allah Sallallahu Taala Alaihi Waalihi Wa Sallam
Aulia-e-hind.com
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 08:57:33 AM »

Rizwan Maniar
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 09:47:17 AM »

SALAM O ALAYKUM,

On the topic whether women should visit graves or dargahs we have ulema e deen some of whome are in support of this whereas others have denied this.

All that I need to say here is that MUJADDID of the 14 th century Ala Hazrat has in strong terms DISAPPROVED women visiting graves, the question now arises that what about the hadith that are present which in some way supports visiting of graves by WOMEN.

The answer to this is that did Ala Hazat knew about such hadith before he came up with with his HARD STAND  on women not VISITING GRAVES.

YES DEFINATELY ALA HADRAT radiAllahu anhu knew about this hadith STILL Ala Hadrat radiAllahu anhu in strong words told women to DISSOCIATE themselves from visiting graves.

So my humble request to my islamic sisters is that we can't undeRstand hadith just by reading what has been mentioned in that hadith, the simple reason being, that we don't have the entire knowledge of USOOL E HADITH as Ala Hazrat radiAllahu anhu had.

SO IT WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED IF WOMEN REFRAIN FROM VISITING GRAVES AND DARGAHS.

ALLAH AND HIS BELOVED RASOOL sallallahu alaihi wasallam KNOW BEST.

WAS SALAM

Kaam woh ley lee jiye, tum ko jo raazi karey,
Theek ho naam e Raza, tum pey karoron durood

(Take that service from me that pleases you, May the name of Raza be well, a million blessings on you)
Rizwan Maniar
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »

One thing that I forgot to mention is that about women visiting the shine of Holy prophet sallallahu alaihi wasallam THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE WHERE WOMEN ARE ALLOWED TO PAY VISIT

HADITH
"Allah's Messenger (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) cursed the women who visit the graves.
[This Hadith has been confirmed by Abu Dawud, At- Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and An-Nasa'i].

Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas:The Apostle of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wasallam) cursed women who visit graves
Dawud :: Book 20 : Hadith 3230

If a female visits the grave to remember death and soften without crying … there is nothing wrong if they are old. It is Makrooh (not permissible) if they are young
(Shaami vol. 1 p. 665 - Maajidiyya)

"Allaah has cursed women who frequent graves," related by Ahmed and Tirmidhi and Ibn Maajah

& finally

It is a wise thing that women should be stopped from visiting the graves.
(Radd-ul-Mohtar; Fatawa-e-Razvia)

(Take that service from me that pleases you, May the name of Raza be well, a million blessings on you)
Fiza
Gem Of Forum
Board Member

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 10:36:04 AM »

Ok Iam confused on one post its says we can and the other post it says we cant I mean I understand both posts but the same hadith is in Al Bukharis books which I have which says exactly the same thing as the first post and now I mean isn't it contradicting each other?

Hasbi Allahu wa ne'mal wakil,Wa`alamu anna feekum Rasul Allah Sallallahu Taala Alaihi Waalihi Wa Sallam
Rizwan Maniar
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 10:43:21 AM »

now I mean isn't it contradicting each other?

My sister in Islam, nothing contradicts here the simple thing that we need to understand is that, we don't have adequate knowledge to interprete hadith as our scholars have, so it would be much more better and easier on ur path if we just follow what our highly respected scholars have said, as they have more knowledge on Quran and Hadith than we do..

Allah and his beloved Prophet sallallahu alaihi wasallam know best.

khaleelrazack99

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 01:45:16 PM »

Womens has right to visit madina munawara / Dargahs / Graves etc.

Point No.1
As per Sahih Bukhari Shareef, on Shab-e-baraat Hazrat Aisha Siddiqa ( Razi AllahuThaalah Anhu ) visited Jannat baqi that too on a special night known as Shab-e-Baraat.

Point No.2
Hazrata Bibi Fathima us Zohra ( Razi allahu Anha )  Use to Visit Shaheed-us-Shoudah Hazrat Ameer Hamza ( Razi allahu Thaalah anhu ) every friday and she use to walk and go to give salaami to this great martyr hazrat ameer hamza.

Point 3
Womens are allowed to visit graves as per various hadith-e-shareefs

Point 4
Womens are allowed even today in Madina munawara to even give salaami to huzoor e kareem sallallahu alaihi wa sallam.
In kasargud in the dargah of hazrat malik dinar ( razi allahu thaalah anhu ) womens are allowed to do ziyarat but there are separate enterance for womens for ziyarat .

Earlier in the period of huzroor e kareem sallallahu alaihi wa sallam womens use to visit graves and some womens use to cry and shout loudly near graves that was the reasons huzooor e kareem sallallahu alaihi wa sallam stopped womens from visiting the graves. But later there was again hukum that womens can visit graves and but have to follow certain conditions. Later the ziyarat of graves for allowed for all muslims. you can refer the hadith shareef mentioned by brother mazhar jan.

Islam is a beautiful religion Islam is not a hard religion and womens have right to do ziyarat of dargahs or visit graves but only thing they should follow some conditions for this.

Therefore you can see womens in 1) Makkah tu mukkarrama 2) Madina e Munawara 3) Baghdad shareef 4) Ajmeer shareefs 5) doing ziyarats in grave yards etc etc.

Nigah-e-Wali Mein Yeh Taseer Dekhi Badal teh Hazaroon Ki Taqdeer Dekhi
farhakhan.pathan
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 01:55:21 PM »

asalamualekum
khaleel bhaijaan i want you  and other members to throw some light about womens visiting Mazars of auliyas
khaleelrazack99

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 02:37:21 PM »

Many people visit dargah for many reasons :

1) some people love awliyas so they do ziyarat of dargah shareefs.

2) it is sunnat to visit mazars shareefs ( huzoor e kareem sallallahu alaihi wa sallam use to visit mazar shareef of hazratat khatija tul khubrah in Saudi Arabia Jannat ul Mallah.

3) Many people visit dargahs to get roohani faiz

4) some people visit dargahs because duas are accepted by allah subhaanahu thaalah very fast here.

5) Hazrata Bibi Fathima us Zohra ( Razi allahu Anha )  Use to often Visit the mazar e shareef of  Shaheed-us-Shoudah Hazrat Ameer Hamza ( Razi allahu Thaalah anhu ) and she use to walk and go to give salaami to this great martyr hazrat ameer hamza razi allahu anhu

6) there are many special days like islamic importance days and days of urs e shareef of awliyas , so people dargahs because they follow the sunnat that huzoor e kareem sal lal lahu alaihi wa sallam use to visit Shaheeds on uhad and badr and this particular days only. Every year huzoor e kareem use to go to visit the shaheeds of uhud on this particular day only. So lovers of awliyas also visit on the wisal day of awliyas because the meaning of urs is marriage in arabic and urs e shareef is the day when awliya gets wisal he meets mahbood-e-haqiqi and awliyas are treated as " Pheli raat ki dhulhan " on the wisal day .
and angels ( faristas ) are send for khidmats of awliyas on the wisal day.

7) There is Character in Sahih Bukhari Shareef known as " Bab-us-Saleheen " where a murderer of 99 people was granted paradise just he walked towards the place of saleheens. So ziyarat of awliyas has many great benefits.

Nigah-e-Wali Mein Yeh Taseer Dekhi Badal teh Hazaroon Ki Taqdeer Dekhi
Fiza
Gem Of Forum
Board Member

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »

As-Salaam-Alaikum,
Ok so its settled that women can go to the graveyard or is there any more hadith which is yet to be discovered for now Iam accepting what brother khaleelrazack99  has mentioned in this recent post.

Thank you everyone who responded to this topic I am immensely happy that now,today and tomorrow the knowledge which I have gained today will last within me for a very long time. Thank you everyone

Feaman Allah

Rizwan Maniar
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 03:33:25 PM »

JazakAllah Khaleel bhai

Things that I tried to bring to the notice of our sisters here is that DURING THE WORDLY HAYATH of our Prophet sallallahu alaihi wasallam women were even allowed to offer prayers alongside with the males of the muslim society, but were restricted in doing so during the time of Hazrat Umar radillAllahu anhu.

Keeping this as a bacis islamic fact we all need to view this topic, let me quote one more hadith here in this respect so that it becomes easy for our sisters in Islam to decide wat shpuld be done.

Imam Tirmidhi (RadiAllhua anhu) has recorded a Hadith of Sayyiduna Abu Hurayra (Radhiallaahu Anhu) that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) has mentioned, 'May Allah Ta'ala curse women who visits the graves.'

Imaam Tirmidhi has graded this Hadith as Sahih - authentic (Sunan Tirmidhi vol.1 pg.203)

This hadith has been reorded from Imaam Abu Dawud on the authority of Sayyiduna Abdullah ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Anhu). also.

Allah and his beloved Rasool sallallahu alaihi wasallam know best.

Altaf Sultani
Ba Tufel-e-Sayed Akhtar Shafiq Sultani Subhani
Global Moderator
Legendary Member

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 03:39:24 PM »

i was not interferin in this topic....but as sis farha wanted to hear from other's m writing my view...

the hadith which is been written above about Hazrata Aisha radi Allah anhu and Hazrata Fatima radi Allahu anhu is correct....Hazrata Aisha radi Allah anhu use to visit the blessed shrines of Sayyidina RasoolAllah sallallahu alaih wasallm and Sayyidina Abu Bakr radi Allahu anhu....and that too without hijab...but wen Sayyidina Umar radi Allahu anhu was buried...she use to visit with hijab....THIS IS TRUE...

and wat rizwan bhai posted about the Fatawa e Razvia is also authentic....this doesnt mean that Ala Hazrat alaihir rehman wasnt aware of this hadith....or he is rejecting these hadith...as we all knw that he was one of the great aashique e Rasool sallallahu alaih wasallam

I ask people of this forum...who vist various shrines during urs sharif.....

do women follow the ethicate laid down in shariat about visiting grave....let me answer first....its a big NOOOOOO

forget urs sharif...during even in normal dayz we see women wtih full grooming face and clothes....as if they are goin for some fashion show.....without any adab and ehteraam they visit these blessed shrines....

The saints have devoted their life teaching and preaching islam.....they knw who is comin and in wat condition....do they feel happy when they see such women coming to their blessed shrines not to get benefit but to show off her beauty...absolutely not.....with the lipstick they kiss the chadar or mazaar of these saints....is this a good practise.....

As the time changes these scholars issue fatawa in accordance with the time and situtation....and not for their own benefit...but for the benefit of our religion.....as they cant issue anythin against the teaching of our beloved Prophet sallallahu aliah wasallam......

its a similar situation like we are told to take our younger children to take to masjid...so that he learn salah and prayer in his childhood...but u should refrain if the child is mischievous......refain doesnt mean not allowed...jst bcoz the other namazi are not disturbed we r told to refrain children....but we are allowed...

similarly its allowed for women to visit but may be these scholars suspected these kind of a be-adabi and be-pardagi and to avoid such situation...these fatawa'a are issued....

this was all from my side....

Farid Kaale mainde kaprey, kaala mainda wais,
Gunahan Bharehan mai pheraan, Lok kahe dervesh
Fiza
Gem Of Forum
Board Member

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2010, 04:38:34 AM »

As-Salaam-Alaikum Brothers & Sisters,

I came to this forum to discover some peace and get answers of some questions which this topic is one of them as it carries a great weight of the world I come from and while reading everyones point of view the question still stands as in are we (women) allowed to visit graves or not?

I read the following article which is for everyone to read :

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Sister, thank you for your question, which emanates from a thoughtful heart. May Allah Almighty help us all adhere to the principles of this true religion, Islam, and make us among the dwellers of Paradise in the Hereafter. Ameen.

Generally speaking, visiting graves is permissible for the purpose of being admonished by remembering death and the Hereafter. However, Islamic ethics and morals should be considered.

In response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“Visiting graves for women and men was prohibited in the early days of Islam. This was due to the fact that there were reasonable grounds for suspicion that the Arabs, newly converted to Islam and fresh from paganism, might associate the right to visit graves with grave worship rituals.

When the Islamic concept of Tawhid (Oneness of Allah) became deeply entrenched in the Islamic consciousness, there was no reasonable ground for such suspicions. Accordingly, the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) lifted the above ban. He then went a step further by making grave visitations a recommended practice because of the associated benefits. He said: “In the past I have forbidden you from visiting graves, but now you may do so, for it might remind you of the next world.” (Reported by Ibn Majah)

As the above statement of the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) is stated in general terms, scholars disagreed as to its precise interpretation. One group thought that the permission was general to include both men and women, since the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) never indicated that the permission had been limited only to men.

A second group, however, said that women were excluded from the above permission and according to them women are forbidden to visit graves. They supported their view by another statement of the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him): “Allah has cursed women who frequent graves for visitation.” (Reported by At-Tirmidhi)

The first group cited a number of traditions in support of their view that women are permitted to visit graves. One of them is the report in Al-Bukhari’s Sahih, which states that once the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) saw a woman weeping over a grave. He advised her to exercise patience. It is not stated anywhere that he told her it was forbidden for women to visit graves. It is only reasonable to assume that had visiting graves been haram (prohibited) for women, the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) would have clearly stated so in this case.

As for the hadith that the second group cited to support their view, the first group explained that it was aimed at women who frequent graves for wailing and lamenting.

The above explanation seems more plausible when we take into account the fact that pagan Arabs were in the habit of hiring professionals — who were mostly women — to practice the ritual of wailing and lamenting on the graves.

The view of the first group is further confirmed by the report from `A’ishah. When someone objected to her about her visit to her brother’s grave, she said that the prohibition was in the early days of Islam and that the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) had later allowed it. A similar view has been attributed to Umm `Atiyyah who said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) had never firmly prohibited women from visiting graves.”

In conclusion, let us say that the issue of women visiting graves has been debated by scholars of the past. After having reviewed the various traditions in this respect, Imam Al-Qurtubi concluded that women are permitted to visit graves on condition that they refrain from wailing and lamenting. Both Imam Ibn Hajar and Ash-Shawkani, both of whom who were thoroughly grounded in the science of Hadith, also tend to favor this view.”

(Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islam.ca)

Altaf Sultani
Ba Tufel-e-Sayed Akhtar Shafiq Sultani Subhani
Global Moderator
Legendary Member

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2010, 09:48:32 AM »

As-Salaam-Alaikum Brothers & Sisters,

I came to this forum to discover some peace and get answers of some questions which this topic is one of them as it carries a great weight of the world I come from and while reading everyones point of view the question still stands as in are we (women) allowed to visit graves or not?

I read the following article which is for everyone to read :

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Sister, thank you for your question, which emanates from a thoughtful heart. May Allah Almighty help us all adhere to the principles of this true religion, Islam, and make us among the dwellers of Paradise in the Hereafter. Ameen.

Generally speaking, visiting graves is permissible for the purpose of being admonished by remembering death and the Hereafter. However, Islamic ethics and morals should be considered.

In response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“Visiting graves for women and men was prohibited in the early days of Islam. This was due to the fact that there were reasonable grounds for suspicion that the Arabs, newly converted to Islam and fresh from paganism, might associate the right to visit graves with grave worship rituals.

When the Islamic concept of Tawhid (Oneness of Allah) became deeply entrenched in the Islamic consciousness, there was no reasonable ground for such suspicions. Accordingly, the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) lifted the above ban. He then went a step further by making grave visitations a recommended practice because of the associated benefits. He said: “In the past I have forbidden you from visiting graves, but now you may do so, for it might remind you of the next world.” (Reported by Ibn Majah)

As the above statement of the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) is stated in general terms, scholars disagreed as to its precise interpretation. One group thought that the permission was general to include both men and women, since the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) never indicated that the permission had been limited only to men.

A second group, however, said that women were excluded from the above permission and according to them women are forbidden to visit graves. They supported their view by another statement of the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him): “Allah has cursed women who frequent graves for visitation.” (Reported by At-Tirmidhi)

The first group cited a number of traditions in support of their view that women are permitted to visit graves. One of them is the report in Al-Bukhari’s Sahih, which states that once the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) saw a woman weeping over a grave. He advised her to exercise patience. It is not stated anywhere that he told her it was forbidden for women to visit graves. It is only reasonable to assume that had visiting graves been haram (prohibited) for women, the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) would have clearly stated so in this case.

As for the hadith that the second group cited to support their view, the first group explained that it was aimed at women who frequent graves for wailing and lamenting.

The above explanation seems more plausible when we take into account the fact that pagan Arabs were in the habit of hiring professionals — who were mostly women — to practice the ritual of wailing and lamenting on the graves.

The view of the first group is further confirmed by the report from `A’ishah. When someone objected to her about her visit to her brother’s grave, she said that the prohibition was in the early days of Islam and that the Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) had later allowed it. A similar view has been attributed to Umm `Atiyyah who said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings be on him) had never firmly prohibited women from visiting graves.”

In conclusion, let us say that the issue of women visiting graves has been debated by scholars of the past. After having reviewed the various traditions in this respect, Imam Al-Qurtubi concluded that women are permitted to visit graves on condition that they refrain from wailing and lamenting. Both Imam Ibn Hajar and Ash-Shawkani, both of whom who were thoroughly grounded in the science of Hadith, also tend to favor this view.”

(Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.islam.ca)

sis ive written in my answer as its  allowed but with proper ethicates.....which today's women dont follow ....

like ive writtn that Hazrata Aisha radi Allahu anhu use to visit without hijab b4 Hazrat Umar radi Allahu anhu was buried in medina....
do today's women follow such things when they visit a grave....if they follow....then there's no issue in visiting grave...

Farid Kaale mainde kaprey, kaala mainda wais,
Gunahan Bharehan mai pheraan, Lok kahe dervesh
Imran Mohammad Ghousvi
اللهم صل على محمد
Gem Of Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 10:05:07 PM »

HADITH
"Allah's Messenger (May the peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) cursed the women who visit the graves.
[This Hadith has been confirmed by Abu Dawud, At- Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah and An-Nasa'i].

MUJADDID of the 14 th century Ala Hazrat has in strong terms DISAPPROVED women visiting graves, the question now arises that what about the hadith that are present which in some way supports visiting of graves by WOMEN.

The answer to this is that did Ala Hazat knew about such hadith before he came up with with his HARD STAND  on women not VISITING GRAVES.

YES DEFINATELY ALA HADRAT radiAllahu anhu knew about this hadith STILL Ala Hadrat radiAllahu anhu in strong words told women to DISSOCIATE themselves from visiting graves.

after reading the hadees and after knowing that ALA HAZRAT HAS DISAPROVED women to visit graves.. i came to this conclusion that women should not visit graves.
because we cant understand hadiths as our beloved ala hazrat did. so we are sunnis and we follow what ala hazrat followed in every belief, so we have to follow him in this matter as well...

“And Our duty is only to proclaim the clear message.”[Surah-Ya-Seen-Ayah 17]
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: